Thursday 18 August 2011

The Great Batman: Arkham City Preview Swindle

Not sure how to feel about this. A while ago I wrote a Batman: Arkham City preview for BeefJack. It was very well received. Largest day one traffic for a preview in the history of the site. A few thousand visitors I'm led to believe.
Was one of those visitors Edge magazine editor, Tony Mott?
I ask because the latest issue of Edge (231) carries an editorial that bears more than a passing similarity to my BeefJack preview.

The 'offending' article. Click for bigger.

For an amateur videogame writer such as myself, to have one of his best jobs ripped off by one of the most respected videogame publications in the world is probably something I should be angry about.
But I'm not. Because that's probably not what happened.
The more likely scenario is that something about Batman: Arkham City needed to be written on BeefJack, I picked an angle and followed it through to it's logical conclusion. Tony Mott, weeks later, unwittingly chose the same angle and logic also prevailed.
So what I'm left with is something approaching pride. Pride in my ability to suck the juice out of a story just as well as the editor of Edge.
And there you have it.
I'm sure Edge will be calling me any moment now to hire me.
Any moment...

now. Any moment...

*checks phone* *yes there's a dialling tone* 

*waits patiently*...

No comments:

Post a Comment